My next “New Thing” ingredient is turmeric which I’ve been reading about but never cooked with. I intended to use it in a lentil recipe. Then this recipe from The Splendid Table’s How to Eat Supper caught my eye. It is so easy – a definite keeper!
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and thin sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 – 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, unpeeled and sliced as thin as possible
- 2 Tablespoons chicken broth
- 1/3 cup sliced toasted almonds
Film a 4-quart saucepan with the olive oil and set over medium-high heat. Layer the onion, turmeric, salt, pepper, and potatoes. Let the mixture cook, without stirring, until the onion starts to soften and brown.
Add the broth, cover, and reduce the heat to low. Don’t stir, but shake the pan periodically and check that there is still some liquid in the bottom. Cook for 15 – 20 minutes, until there is a syrupy brown glaze on the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with the almonds just before serving.
Here is the link to the recipe on the Splendid Table website which you should follow if you make this. The Splendid Table recipes are detailed and I find them to be foolproof. Enjoy!